
This week in Learn and Serve three of the students were not there so the class was very small. Today there was very little to do with just the three students. The students had their reading group and for a little while they started their group I went on one of the classroom computers to test out some of the games that the kids like to play during their free time. Some of the games were building and matching games involving shapes and identifying objects. Another game was a math game that was a little difficult for their level because it was either making a math problem worksheet or solving math problems. The game was good though because it demonstrated adding with larger numbers and carrying over the numbers. The game had addition and subtraction. Then I was able to help Ronald with his work. He gets very frustrated if he does not get the right answers right away. I try my best to keep him calm and focused on the worksheet and help him to see that he is actually doing it correctly,even tho he does not realize it. I also talked with the teacher about putting together a short lesson plan. It is going to include a short book and then follow with a discussion about the beginning, middle, and end parts of the story. I am going to give it a Halloween theme because it will be close to Halloween when I do the lesson.
This week we read Chapter 6 which was "Children with Emotional and Behavior Disorders" this chapter really connected to my learn and serve class because all of these students have emotional and behavioral disorders. The chapter talks about how to identify students that may have this disorder, which made me wonder how the students in my class came to be diagnosed. What was the deciding factor as they were so little that made them stand out. Luckily none of the students in my class have been violent with each other or any teachers or staff. My teacher has also informed me that none of them are quite severe enough so there is no worry. A student or two has the chance that if the case becomes severe enough little violence may occur but she says that she has already seen improvement in their control. The chapter talks about the ways to help the student control their behaviors, which I found very interesting because I thought that controlling their behavior themselves would be a problem for the students with emotional and behavior disorder. But the books gives different ideas on how the student can notice their behavior and start to control it. I wonder how this would work in my classroom
How would you plan for a student like Ronald?
ReplyDeleteHow would you assess his growth overtime?
How might he benefit from a social story (see our text)
again, be careful with the word really
ReplyDeleteYour reflection about the student's controlling their own behavior - this is call "self-regulation" what does the text include about this skill. Why is it important? How is it taught?