
Today in learn and serve one of the girls was acting different than normal. She is usually very cooperative and helpful around the classroom. She is normally well behaved and listens to the teachers, however today when I got there during free time, she had to just sit at her desk because she did not do her homework on time. For the ten minutes that she had to sit quietly and she had a very hard time with it. But even before the free time started she was getting yelled at for having extra food in her desk and she kept trying to get up and do things around the room. She would ask the aid instead of the teacher because I think she knew that the aid would let her do it but Mrs. Drennan would not. This is where I saw her in rare form. I noticed it again later on as well. I was able to do a lesson with 3 of the students today. I read them a story and made a worksheet for us to do together afterwards. Since I didn't have enough copies of the book for all 3 of the students they just had to listen and pay attention to the story. Which they actually did really well. After I finished the story they had to come up with 2 sentences to describe the events of the beginning, middle, and end of the story. They all did very well with coming up with the events. Some students needed more help than others with things such as the spelling of the words. My lesson was slightly intereupted by library time but afterwards they came back to the table to finish the last part of the worksheet. The girl at this point really acted out for her normal behavior. She just got up and left the table and went back to her seat. I reacted very calm and I asked her to please come back to the table because she was not finished. When she sat back down she said that she didn't have to do what I told her. But I just sat there with her until she did it all correctly.
After my lesson the other 2 students in the class had their reading lesson and they had a spelling test. I watched them take it and the words were "bat", "hat", and "go". These were just half of the words and I thought it was very interesting because one of the students could not spell "bat" but she could spell "hat". These are simple rhyming words which i found interesting why she couldn't spell them correctly. I felt really good because I helped one boy with his math worksheet because the teacher had handed it back twice and he was not understanding what he was doing wrong and starting to become frustrated so I talked it through with him. I was able to get him to see what he was supposed to do and he could do it on his own.
You are doing a lot of teaching in your placement. And what impresses me is your memory of what took place. Nice job.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that you hold students accountable. For example, the girl that was having a tough time you sat with her and remained calm. Nice job.
So bat, hat, cat... these are rhyming words and why do you think kids might have trouble spelling them vs. reading them? When the student who could spell hat but not bat, what did she write? was there a letter substitution?
Also - the boy who you helped with his math. Did you ask him what he thought he needed to fix? was he able to talk about it to the extent that you felt he "got it"?
What could the teacher have done differently? What would you have done BEFORE he handed in the worksheet?
Hyperlink?