Today the teacher was not in class so the class was run by the aid and a substitute aid. I was interested to see how the students would act in this setting. During free time I sat next to a student who was working on the computer. She was doing a puzzle on the computer, it seemed very hard because the pieces were very small. I was helping her to get the idea of finding all of the outside pieces first. The puzzle was very hard because not only were the puzzle pieces small but to put it together on the computer screen is very difficult, for anyone to do. She did not quite get the idea of finding the pieces with a straight edge to make the sides.
It was a student's birthday today and he had cupcakes to hand out for lunch. He is usually a student that behaves but will act out by speaking. He verbally gets in fights with other students by saying things under his breath or just out loud right too them. Today I was hoping that he would behave so that he didn't get his cupcakes taken away. He was doing good for most of the day but another student seemed to be having a very bad day. She was just not doing well. She was not listening very well, she kept having minor tantrums and everything she did seemed to be wrong. I think she was trying but it was just a bad day.
During Library the Librarian brought in two books and a movie and the idea that they talked about was past and present. They had to identify which books were talking about the past or the present. The students did very well actually with determining which was which.
What do you think about the student who had a birthday. Would taking his cupcakes away encourage him to be well behaved?
ReplyDeleteTell me more about what a bad day means for a student this class. Is there a place for kids to take a time out? collect their thoughts?
What does the book support in relation to helping students save face in class and engage?
also - I noticed the schedule has "Counseling Hayleigh"
ReplyDeleteis this a student in the class? or the counselor?
What do you notice about this service for the students. Does it help?